Sunday, January 28, 2018

Free of Me

Lately, I've started to feel a little bit discontent. And I realized that it was because I have been so focused on myself, more than focused on God. So when I saw that I had the opportunity to read a book called Free of Me by Sharon Hodde Miller, I was pretty excited to read it. And I wasn't disappointed!
"Our me-centered culture affects every area of our lives- our relationships, calling, self-image, even our faith- and it negatively impacts each one. The self-focused life robs our joy, shrinks our souls, and is the reason we get stuck in insecurity." This is what it says on the back cover, what I read that really resonated with me and made me want to read this book.
Miller spends a good chunk of the book describing seven "mirrors", or areas of our lives that we so often make about ourselves. These are God, family, appearance, possessions, friendships, calling, and church. At first, I was afraid that, as I read and saw myself in these pages, I would feel really crappy about myself, but Miller has an excellent way of helping us become aware without seeming judgmental and critical. She shares her own personal struggles in each area, and different ways that she overcame it. At the end of each chapter, she includes a focus verse, a prayer, and discussion questions. Honestly, it would be an excellent book to read and discuss in a small group!
I enjoyed this book. Not only was it a great resource for helping to focus less on myself and more on God, but it helped me realize that I am not alone in my struggle to do so. Even if you don't feel like you are that focused on yourself, I would recommend reading this book because it can help even in the smallest way!
/***Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.***

No comments:

Post a Comment